The Farmington Community Center was once a part of the old Farmington High School. In the late 1800's, on land that was donated by George W. Johnson, Farmington Academy was opened. The Davie Co. Board of Education Minutes notes that O.B. Eaton was the first principal. In the early 1900's, a public high school was approved for Farmington and the Board appropriated $250 for the new building. Farmington High School went from grades one through eleven, with eleventh grade being the graduating class. By the 1940's, the school had added a gymnasium, auditorium, cafeteria, and an extra class room that was used to teach Home Economics and other classes.
There was also an Agriculture Building built behind the school, which offered the students classes in farming, gardening, and raising cattle. The ball field was home to the Farmington Baseball Team, in the 1920’s, and was the place to be on the weekends for community games. After the opening of the new high school in Mocksville, N.C., the Farmington High School was closed and the main building was torn down. In 1971, the Farmington Community Association was formed, with John Caudle as their first President, and what was left of the old Farmington School, was designated to be the Farmington Community Center. Through the years, the Center has housed an after school program, a day care, various classes, and community events. Through the years, the Farmington Community Center has seen many changes. For a few years, all was quiet at the center and the buildings were left vacant. Today, the Farmington Community Center has renewed life as volunteers work to raise funds for the restoration of the old buildings, ball-field, and grounds of the facility. New programs have been started to help meet needs in the community and the Center is once again a place for families to come and enjoy recreation. The Farmington Community Center is a part of Farmington history that is continuing to work toward meeting the needs of its community.